9.12.09

A Dream from Mid November


I am standing at my kitchen sink, where the window overlooks the community garden across the street from my house. A girl’s funeral is taking place in the garden, and I walk over to see what it is about. I have never been to a funeral. At first, I hang on the outskirts of the crowd, feeling unbearable sadness. But then I get closer and see that she has so many friends there. I start crying. A priest is leading the ceremony and talks about her, and her friends are all very colorful. I sit on a ledge next to two girls, who joke and laugh. Their presence comforts me. As the priest speaks, I see that they haven't dug a hole for the coffin – it is just sinking down into the mud. The priest says that they are going to do an experiment. They are going to bury her in the garden to see what grows.


No comments:

Post a Comment